Monday, April 29, 2019

Welcome to the blog site for Mrs. Hughes's class communication with Wahid. We are honored to have his participation in this project, and look forward to creating narratives based on his and his family's experience.

30 comments:

  1. How old were you when you had to leave Syria?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amy! I had just turned 17 years old when left Syria.

      Delete
    2. That is so young to leave your country. What was school like in Syria?

      Delete
    3. School was great. I went on later to study the IB diploma in Pearson College UWC. The IB is recognized by many to be a challenging curriculum, and I found that the Syrian education system prepared me well.

      Delete
  2. When your family arrived in their destination how to you get clean (resources) food and water and shelter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you get into the college you are in right now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I applied to the university and for scholarships. I was very fortunate to receive a full scholarship.

      Delete

  4. Who did your family have on their journey out of Syria to accompany them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody. It was just us leaving together. However, there were many others fleeing.

      Delete
  5. Why did you choose to go to Canada? Was that your only choice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in Aleppo, I applied to Pearson College UWC. (https://www.pearsoncollege.ca/). I received a full scholarship which allowed me to come to Canada and study the IB. In my last year of high school, I applied to several colleges. Both in Canada and in the US. I almost went to Duke University, which was my top choice, after I received a full scholarship to go there. However, staying in Canada seemed to be a smarter choice after the US elections and the Presidential executive order of banning Syrians among other nationals from entering the US.

      Delete

  6. Who had a kind enough soul to help your family escape Syria?

    ReplyDelete

  7. What was the town like that you lived in when you were in Syria?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in Aleppo, Syria. It is a very beautiful and ancient city. Aleppo is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world; it may have been inhabited since the 6th millennium BC. It is also the largest city in Syria with a population of around 4.6 million people in 2010. It is also the economic capital of the country. The city's significance in history has been its location at one end of the Silk Road. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo)

      Delete
  8. What does it feel like to not see your family again for so long? And what does it feel like to never go back to the country you were raised

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really hard. I left my family when I was 17 and was only to see them again for a period of 10 days when I was 20 (this year). It definitely hurt a lot and was hard, however, it also taught me many things. I learned how to be independent and how to make important decisions on my own. As for being away from Syria, that is also hard. It was especially hard when the war was more fierce and I used to receive news of hundreds of deaths in my city including places and streets I have been to. It continues to be heartbreaking, however, I try to use it as a force of motivation to work hard to hopefully go back one day and make a difference.

      Delete

  9. What obstacles did your family have to face while escaping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many unfortunately. Getting out of Syria in itself is really hard. In many cases, you have to go through check points and security screening. That gets really messy and complicated when you have to go through areas that are controlled by different militant groups (Government, opposition, and even ISIS).

      Delete
  10. Hello Wahid, My Question for you is why did you have to leave your country?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey back!! This is a very good question. Long story short, it is because of war. It just was (is) not safe to be there. Most people were forced to leave after their houses were destroyed in bombings in the war, which started in 2011. You may want to check out this video :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ikhgIsRM0Y

      Delete

  11. How did people help your family get to the Netherlands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot give specific details due to complexity and safety reasons. However, as with most other Syrian refugees, refugees were making their own way through Europe. Usually, by paying to human smugglers to get them to a safe European country that will allow them to submit a refugee protection claim. This journey is very dangerous and thousands have died on the way, which you can read about if you google it.

      Delete


  12. Who are the friends and family you had to leave behind when you escaped Syria?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many, unfortunately. Some of which are school friends, other players on my basketball team and my relatives.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. This is a hard question. I dont quite know the answer to. I love my country and have a lot of memories there. I have also made a lot of friends and connections in Canada and feel that I belong to this country and culture. When Syria is safe again, I would definitely go back to Syria if I see an opportunity to make a meaningful difference and improve the country in the rebuilding process.

      Delete
  14. Dear Wahid,

    Thank you for talking to us, it was very intriguing talking to someone who was lucky enough to escape the violent horrors of war.

    Sincerely, Luciano.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Waleed,Thank you for letting us skype you! You have a super great personality! I have learned so much from what told us. I absolutely think science is great to do in college. You have a bright future ahead of you-Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, Wahid!
    We just wanted to say thank you for allowing us to Skype with you and learn about your life. It's very much appreciated. It was a really great experience and taught us a lot of stuff about refugees.
    Thank you, again!
    - Hughes' class

    ReplyDelete